This was stated by a group of researchers from the University of British Columbia (UBC) and the School of Public Health at Harvard University, BBC reports.
See also: Ukrainian surgeons for the first time will conduct a unique operation in the womb
The World Health Organization recommends that between pregnancies, 24 months should pass, or at least 18 months. After all, very short intervals between pregnancies can provoke premature birth, lead to low infant weight and increase the risk of infant and maternal mortality.
How much time must pass after delivery before the next pregnancy? One year is enough
However, study author Dr. Wendy Norman says that it’s not necessary to wait that long. Especially, good news, perhaps, for women over 35, who often intentionally do not plan to make the gap between pregnancies.
This is the optimal annual interval – available for many women, and it’s really worth going to reduce the risks
– she said.
Scientists have investigated nearly 150,000 deliveries in Canada. It turned out that the interval from 12 to 18 months is ideal between childbirth and a new pregnancy.
Results of scientists regarding the duration of pregnancy:
1. A pregnancy that began less than 12 months after the previous one carries risks for women of any age.
2. A greater risk of re-pregnancy is for women older than 35 years, at the same time as the risk to the health of the infant is the lowest if the mother is from 20 to 34 years old.
3. Women over 35 years old who conceived a child 6 months after a previous birth had a risk of maternal mortality or injury at the level of 1.2% (12 cases per 1000 pregnancies).
4. The interval of 18 months between pregnancies reduced the risk of maternal mortality or harm to health by up to 0.5% (5 cases per 1000).
5. Younger women who became pregnant 6 months after a previous birth had a risk of premature birth at 8.5%.
6. The risk of preterm birth was reduced to 3.7% if they waited 18 months between pregnancies.
Pregnant a second time after delivery in a year
More news on the treatment of various diseases, medicine in Ukraine, healthy lifestyle and nutrition, pregnancy and childbirth, discoveries in the field of medicine and much more – read in the section Health.