And you doubted? So do I.
That's about the fact that many diseases can be identified by the person, without resorting to examinations, we talked with cosmetologist-dermatovenerologist of the Institute of Plastic Surgery and Cosmetology, candidate of medical sciences Tamara Zhuchkova.
– Tamara Nikolaevna, what diseases does our face reflect?
– First of all, genetic … There was a case: the mother brought a 10-year-old girl to the clinic for an appointment. The face of the baby was 20 years older than her age. There were no doubts that this is progeria – the early aging of the organism – the doctors did not have. With such a congenital genetic defect, people live only up to 20-27 years old. And there is no treatment for this disease yet …
Hirsutism is also immediately visible … In this case, because of an excess of the hormone testosterone, the girl has facial hair like a man. But this, fortunately, is treated. Tendency to increased sebaceous excretions, or oily seborrhea – also genetics. The disease can be transmitted from generation to generation.
– Swelling of the eyelids. Bags under the eyes … Will it tell something about a dermatologist?
– Maybe these are signs of fatigue, insomnia? It is treated with black tea lotions. But the same signs may indicate diseases of the thyroid gland, kidney, hypertension, allergies …. That's when the tests and examinations can help.
Two years ago we rested with a friend at the sea. She sunbathed a lot. But even against the background of a tan, her face looked lifelessly pale. Upon arrival, the fashion loyal Galina decided to make Botox shots to remove wrinkles. But the cosmetologist sent her to the therapist, suspecting anemia (lowering the level of hemoglobin in the blood. – Ed.). And he was right. The level of hemoglobin, judging by the analyzes, was reduced. But why? Doctors got to the bottom of the truth: Gali was bleeding a polyp in the rectum. She didn't even know about him!
– Tamara Nikolaevna, pale complexion always speaks about anemia?
“No, maybe it's just a deep arrangement of the vessels.” Emotional overload, low pressure, lung disease can also affect skin color … The skin color is a “litmus test” of health. By the yellowness of the skin on the face, you can easily recognize both a lover of carrot juice and suspicion of jaundice, which requires urgent treatment! Yellow skin may be due to malfunction of the thyroid gland. If yellowness is also combined with a sharp pallor, then oncology can be suspected.
– Since ancient times it was believed: red cheeks – a sign of health …
– Alas … With elevated blood sugar (diabetes), the cheeks also redden. They also turn red in couperose, when the vessels on the face are sharply dilated and a small vascular grid is visible. Redness of the face gives and rosacea (from the Latin. Acne rosacea – "pink acne") – a chronic disease of the skin of the face, and redness is only the first stage. Then rashes begin, papules form, swelling, and rhinophyma develops in the skin on the nose and cheeks. Rosacea requires patient treatment.
In men, a lot of red capillaries and facial blemishes indicate either stress or alcohol abuse. Red face is contraindicated steam, hot tea and a sharp heat after frost.
Who among us in our youth or adolescence did not suffer from acne ?! At school, such tease that hurt the psyche of a teenager. I remember how in 15 years I had several pimples and I squeezed them hard. Seeing the execution, my mother scared me for the rest of her life … It turns out that my great-great-grandmother died after such a thing, having received sepsis. And all because of banal acne!
– Banal? Do you know that every rash has its own reasons? – Says Tamara Zhuchkova. – Often acne talk about problems in the digestive and hormonal systems. Maybe you eat too much spicy or salty food? Maybe the girl has irregular periods or she uses contraceptives that are not suitable for her?
If the person is aged, then the cause of acne is different – it is an infection or an allergy. Rashes may appear due to poor skin care, the use of fatty creams or, conversely, excessive use of alcohol, peels, masks.
Patients often come to me after a trip to the south, especially to Thailand. There they use the services of massage therapists and come with a sharp exacerbation of the disease: purulent acne on the face, back, chest … Why? Yes, because massages are done, as a rule, on the beach in unsanitary conditions. It is impossible to treat yourself, especially to squeeze pimples, because the infection can be spread all over the skin!
Skin has always been my problem. Once I woke up from a terrible itch. His face was itchy, red spots spilled out on his cheeks, his eyes swelled. I called an ambulance and they put a decent dose of antiallergic drug into my vein. On the same day, taking a scraping from the face, a dermatologist made a diagnosis of “demodicosis”.
– It's just me so lucky or ….
– No, demodicosis occurs frequently. Demodex is a tick (saprophyte of the sebaceous glands of the skin), and can only be seen through a microscope. He lives in the skin of almost any person. But as soon as immunity decreases, a violent reaction can begin. And then all the "charms" of demodicosis in the literal sense of the word – on the face! Treatment of the disease is very long, but you can recover.
A few years ago, I had to go to the Herzen Cancer Institute on journalistic affairs. I will never forget the horror in the eyes of a young woman. It turned out that a melanoma was found on her son’s cheek (malignant, quickly giving metastases, skin swelling). "That's my fault! I! – sobbed mother. – Kolya tore off a mole on his cheek. I had to go to the doctor right away, but I thought everything would pass … ”
– Is melanoma possible due to some kind of injury?
– So it often happens. Any mole requires observation, and if it is injured or changed color, it grows, it bleeds – to the doctor immediately. In addition, no physician is unlikely to distinguish a mole from papillomas or keratomas … And yet … If you have a lot of moles, it is worthwhile to appear to a dermatologist and not to tan in any case!
– Any woman is concerned about the problem of wrinkles … Today, they can be removed with the help of "beauty shots", plastic surgeries, nanowires. And what wrinkles will tell the doctor?
– Wrinkles speak about aging, fading of the skin, which is natural with age. Ageless skin does not happen. Moreover, women's skin is thinner than men's, so women and wrinkles appear earlier. But with proper care, the skin can support and delay the time of visits to plastic surgeons. By the way, not everyone can do injections and operations. Someone may end up with allergies or ugly keloids.
– What would you advise our readers as a cosmetologist-dermatologist?
– I will remind the rule "THREE NOT":
do not crush acne; do not cauterize education; Do not pull on a visit to the doctor.
Photo: REX / FOTODOM