Each patient has his own reasons for wandering. It is very important to find out these reasons and to control.
See also: How not to get sick with senility in old age
How to care for a person with dementia?
1. Arrange for an elderly person time of physical activity like walking under supervision. So you can satisfy the natural need for movement.
2. Put locks where possible. Install door latches above head or closer to the floor. People with dementia usually try to discover only what is at the face level.
Dementia – what is it?
This is a disease that occurs in people of old age. It is characterized by a weakening of the functions of the brain. Because of this, a person cannot take care of himself on his own – he needs constant supervision and outside help.
Alzheimer's disease occurs due to the accumulation of various “protein debris” in the nerve cells (tau proteins and amyloid beta proteins), which gradually kills neurons in various parts of the brain. Their death leads to memory loss and senile dementia.
3. Mask the door. Hang a curtain or a bright poster on the front door. So the door will not look like a door. Sometimes a red stop or no stop sign helps.
4. Place a coal-black rug near the threshold or paint the porch black. A black spot may seem like a deep hole to a sick person.
A sick person needs a lot of walking
5. Hang the door liners on the door handles.
6. Select a watch or keychain with a tracker. So you can monitor a sick person.
7. Hide items necessary for walking, such as your favorite coat, glasses, or handbags, without which a sick person usually does not leave the house.
8. On the outer clothing, you can attach a noticeable tag with the address or phone. A sick person may wear a bracelet with the same information.
9. Always have fresh photographs of a sick person on hand.
10. Warn neighbors that an elderly person sometimes leaves home. Leave them a phone number.
More news regarding treatment, medicine, nutrition, healthy living and much more – read in the Health section.